Friday, June 09, 2006

Dragon

Immigration is not an easy job at all because you have lots of homework to do. So I deliberately prepared a to do list. There were different tasks in my list . To sell the car , make a good bye phone calls to friends and family, to sell the home stuff etc... But I think the most difficult one was to decide what to do with the books which I gathered for years . So I chose to start with pleasant one !

At first I thought to sell them and make good money, so I skimmed a daily newspaper and found a phone number of a guy who bought second hand books in GOOD PRICE. Methinks that the basis of the payment would be the 40 or 50 percent lesser the real price , but when I asked the buyer how much you would pay for each book , he answered: " 500 tomans ( about 80 cents) for 1 kilo !" I thought he was joking because you never go to a bookshop and say : " 2 kilos book please" . But what I heard was true . I called other buyers and I heard the same reply . So I changed my mind and decided to give them away.

The books were consisted of different subjects and I decided to sort them based on the interests of my friends and family. Religious books from Islam,Buddhism, Zoroastrian , Christians etc , scientific books , novels , English books etc.....I could manage to give most of them but the toughest part was the magazines which I published my articles in them.....I did not know what to do with them . Nobody accepted them because they were old , and I couldn't throw them away because they were my children ! So I decided to publish a website and put the scans of my works there . How ? I did not know. So I went to a book shop and bought a book about Frontpage Software paying the price based on volume not kilo ! Then I came home starting self study on frontpage ! But frontpage couldn't be learnt based on famous theory of reading " one night before exam." How would I do the scanning stuff? I was spending seven days just for books , what about other tasks? Therefore I found that I was just building a castle in the air and with a big smile I gave up and left all my children into the garbage bin and happily ticked the first job in my to do list !

My recommendation : when you have to meet a deadline , be realistic and do not be disturbed if you put most of your precious stuff into garbage bin . Remember that sometimes your to do list is the same as dragon in cartoons. When you cut one head , tenfold heads will appear at the same place.

No comments: